Sep 9, 2014

Car-ma

Before the kids were born (about four weeks before, in fact - when I realised that no twin pram on the market was going to fit in the boot of my beloved Holden Astra), we traded in my still-new car for a 2002 Holden Commodore sedan.

Though I was gutted to lose my less-than-eight-months-old Holden Astra, I did grow very fond of the Commodore. It's comfy like a big old taxi, a dream to drive, and nicely powerful. I can even parallel park it.

In the last couple of years we have been toying with the idea of getting a newer car. While the Commodore was only 3 years old when I got it, it is now 12 years old and showing its age. Half the electrics no longer work, it increasingly needs repairs and attention, and it's looking and feeling a little worn.

But, as we only just paid off the loan on Y's car this year, we decided not to jump into another car loan, and to stick with what we had for another couple of years.

Then last Monday happened.

I've started taking the train to work regularly (though I confess I have slipped a little since I resolved in July to take the train 3 days a week).

On Sunday night I woke in the early hours of the morning and then had an uncharacteristic bout of insomnia. Unable to get back to sleep, I ended up sitting in the lounge with a cup of tea and the Sunday paper magazines, and then a book, for a couple of hours. Finally willing myself back to bed and then to sleep, I knew I was going to have trouble getting up the next morning.

I did eventually get up, but was too late to catch the train, so I drove.

I left work that evening in the middle of a massive downpour. Driving isn't fun in heavy rain, so I was careful, but right on the on-ramp to the freeway we passed an accident, and just as we did, I got a funny feeling and checked my mirror - just in time to see a car coming way too fast, then slamming into the back of my car.

The impact was incredible, and so was the noise. It felt and sounded as if the back half of my car had been caved in.  But - good old Commodore! - that was not quite the case. I was later surprised to see there was just what looked like a big dent, and the lid of the boot had buckled up a bit. Not even the rear lights were smashed.

The driver of the other car was very apologetic and admitted he had been distracted by the accident next to us and wasn't looking. We swapped details, and I drove home and phoned in the insurance claim the next day.

A week later, because multiple panels were buckled and due to its age, the insurer has declared the car a write-off.

Though we won't get much cash for it, we now get to go shopping for a new-to-us car (and loan!)

I admit I'm a bit excited. I already have an idea of the kind of car I want, and I don't plan to spend too much time shopping. I've already become comfortable with carrying another 4-year utterly extortionate fixed rate loan. Because: I get a car!




I suddenly remembered today the Commodore had a full tank of petrol.

But then I remembered it was also overdue for a service we hadn't paid for, and that we were on the verge of shelling out for a new radiator, plus re-tinting to repair the torn window tinting on the driver's side window. All these things I had put off for weeks, and now won't need to do at all.  And although we will need to take on a loan, we will get a car that is more economical to run and shouldn't need repairs (I hope) for some time. So all in all, we've come out of it OK.

So hooray for my strange sleepless night last Sunday!




13 comments:

  1. That is classic "glass half full" thinking. Enjoy your new older car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun...a new to you car. I always love it when I get new toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be something in the air. I was hit from behind a few weeks ago, no real damage. And, we pick up our new car on Friday. Quite exciting really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The car we traded in for our current one had reached voting age. Some years ago. And I hear you on the constant repairs/maintenance issues.
    So long as no-one was hurt it sounds like a win/win to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to you RAV4, here you come. Excellent news. You wont know yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you weren't hurt in that accident and Yay! New (to you) car!
    What will you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're looking at compact SUVs and our favourite is the Toyota RAV4. Hopefully we'll get one at a good price. I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  7. It seems like you were really meant to buy a new car this year. It's just too bad that the decision was influenced by an accident. It’s a good thing that you were not badly hurt. Anyway, I hope you’re making progress on the search for your new car.

    Diane Wilson @ Fletcher Chrysler

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strange how things happen sometimes! Glad it was nothing too serious, and that it all seems to have worked out for the best.
    A guy went into the back of me the other day - luckily not much damage, certainly compared to his car - good old Honda!
    Happy car hunting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it all worked out quite well! Though a bit of an expensive adventure. I've certainly learned some valuable lessons about car insurance ;)
      We have bought a 2010 Honda CR-V, and we love it. Glad to hear you have good experiences with Honda! And glad your accident was not too serious.

      Delete
  9. I think the things you covered through the post are quiet impressive, good job and great efforts. I found it very interesting and enjoyed reading all of it...keep it up, lovely job..
    Window tinting West Vally City

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...